Sunday, August 31, 2008

The federal government has frozen our non-profit accounts!

I am part of two organizations that work for communities and not for profit: the Thomas Tolman Family Organization that does genealogy research and archiving, and the Gesundheit! Institute that is trying to create a different kind of hospital and health care. I have been raising money online for each organization; you can find the payment links easily on the Tolman site, and my friends' Gesundheit! donations are collected through trentlarson.com. The first of these is even a government-registered non-profit organization; the second isn't and probably never will be.  (UPDATE: I initially wrote that the Tolman Organization was not registered as a non-profit.)

A few weeks ago, PayPal restricted each account, meaning that I cannot get any of the money out. Well, that was inconvenient, especially since I was about to make a transfer to the Tolman family for publications that people have ordered. I haven't made extra effort to certify that I am an authorized fund-raiser; I expect that this is understood by people who donate since they either come from the website (for the Tolman family), or they know and trust me (for my friends giving to Gesundheit!). I do not like it, and since I don't get any discount as a charity for using their system, I will likely not do any more business through them because of the difficulties this has caused. I sure do not appreciate the sudden restrictions; we do this work on our free time, and I'm not able to jump and get all their documentation together at the drop of a hat. (Especially with Gesundheit! where Patch only works by snail mail, so it'll take me weeks or months to get any "official" documentation stating that he approves of this.)

However, yesterday I got the real story. I called PayPal again because I got another notice claiming that this would be my "final reminder"; sounds scary, and I certainly don't want to lose the money I've collected! This time I found the real reason our access is restricted: my friendly Department of Homeland Security is making sure I'm collecting money for the right reasons.

I don't know what to say at this point. I'm dumbfounded. I knew things were bad, but I am constantly surprised when I learn how bad things really are... especially, of course, when I am a direct beneficiary! :-0

I hope everyone sees how far we have come down the road toward totalitarianism, where almost every action must first be approved by a government department. No amount of good intentions can justify these attacks on our liberties. Please help get our federal government back to doing only their lawful, Constitutional duties and nothing more.

4 comments:

Kem Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kem Mason said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kem Mason said...

dude -- I always thought you looked like a terrorist lol (haha probably shouldn't post that here, you might end up in jail) -- wow -- seriously -- I'm dumbfounded (I mean come on, you, terrorist, raising a whole $1000).

I'm sending an email out to my friends, and posting a link on digg (a community news site). I would encourage everyone who reads this to send the following email to your friends -- let's raise the awareness before we lose all our liberties to "homeland security".

Email Subject:
Homeland Security has frozen your bank account!
Email Body:
Ok, they (probably) haven't actually done that yet. But I got an email from a good friend last night who actually had one of his accounts frozen by homeland security. He posted a blog entry about it here: http://tinyurl.com/6bj4j6

This guy is one of the nicest, most peace loving people I know. The account in question is one he was using to raise funds to help build a hospital that would provide free treatment (the gesundheit institute), and only had $782.01 in it.

I've heard horror stories before about Homeland Security, but I decided to try to do something this time. I've made a post on digg: digg it http://tinyurl.com/6apdzp It is a news site where people vote for the top stories.

Please sign up for digg and vote for this one. Also, send this email to at least 10 people in your address book, or Homeland Security might be freezing your account next.

(I can't believe I'm starting a chain letter -- desperate times call for desperate measures I guess lol)

John said...

I'm speechless. I'm all in favor of catching terrorists, but there is a price that's too high to pay.

I was thinking just the other day about how we used to think about the Russians when we were younger. The "evil" way they controlled everything--travel, money, jobs, etc. And now here we are with stuff like this. How different are we really from the communism of the 70's and 80's?

John Crowley